The perfect thing to do doesn’t always occur to us. Hopefully this post will provide piano teachers with a few tips to make sure we’re always doing the right thing.
- Don’t copy sheet music. It’s illegal. The only exception to this rule is if the sheet music is provided free of charge by a website the expressly allows reprinting. Even then, make sure they own the copyright.
- Return parent phone call and emails promptly.
- Return parent/student inquiries promptly, even if you don’t have room for them.
- Establish and maintain fair lesson policies and rates.
- Be supportive of other teachers even if your don’t agree with everything they teach. After all, you’re hoping for the same treatment.
- Support younger teachers. You were young once.
- When serving as an adjudicator focus on providing the student with positive and helpful comments, rather than critical comments about the teacher.
- Allow students to complete lessons with a teacher before accepting them into your studio.
- Thank fellow teachers for referrals. You would appreciate it if they did the same.
That’s all I’ve got. As always, your comments are encouraged.
Browse Piano Sheet Music and Music Theory Posts:
Flash Frog™ | Music Flash Cards for Beginners
Scale Sleuth™ | Musical Scales Workbook for Kids
Pirate Quest | Musical Terms Board Game (Digital Print)
Carnegie Hall Park (Matchbox Parking) | Music Theory Board Game
Free Beginner Piano Sheet Music/Level 1
Free Beginner Piano Sheet Music/Level 2
Free Easy Piano Sheet Music/Level 3
Free Easy Piano Sheet Music/Level 4
Free Easy Piano Sheet Music/Level 5